Thursday, November 20, 2014

Volunteer code

Radio Commentary

Volunteers make a huge difference in our public schools.
  
If done correctly, volunteering can provide invaluable help for students who are struggling. It can provide an extra set of hands, eyes, and ears to teachers who are working hard to meet the needs of all students.

To help volunteers do their job better, the state PTA created a code of ethics that includes the following items:
  • While I may lack assets my co-workers have, I will not let this make me feel inadequate, and will still help develop good teamwork. My help is valued and important.
  • I will find out the best ways to serve the activity for which I’ve volunteered, and will offer as much as I can give, but not more.
  • I must live up to my promise, and therefore will be careful that my agreement is so simple and clear it cannot be misunderstood.
  • I will work with a professional attitude because I have an obligation to my task, to those who direct it, to my colleagues, to the students for whom it is done, and to the public.
These items are good practices for all volunteers to keep in mind as they strive to make a difference for children.

And that, of course, is the bottom line for all of us.